How to sell your stamps with us
Appraisals and Valuations
Here at Stanley Gibbons we are happy to give advice on the potential value of single stamps, postal history and collections. In fact anything philatelic that you may wish to sell.
Most of the enquiries we receive are usually regarding collections that they have inherited or a few loose stamps. In which case as a good starting point it is best to contact us via email. Please do your best to provide a brief outline of what you have for sale and more importantly attach sample photos of what you believe to be the oldest, best condition and most valuable stamps.
File size should be no more than 15MB.
- If the stamps are in an album please send photos of the album pages as opposed to individual stamps.
- A sample of the collection should be sufficient.
- We will not value the collection from a scan or photograph, they are simply for us to assess what you have, and decide whether further examination is required.
Unfortunately not all stamps are valuable
- Modern commemorative issues and first day covers (Post 1960’s). Postal authorities throughout the world have promoted and issued these in vast numbers and unfortunately they have limited resale value.
- Royalty omnibus issues (Royal Weddings, births or visits etc.) although lovely souvenirs of the event they again have limited resale value.
- “Schoolboy” collections, perhaps better described, as accumulations tend to contain stamps in small “All world” paperback albums from various countries and are often postmarked or cut directly from envelopes. Quality is often atrocious with many of the stamps creased, torn or even with large chunks missing. Quality is paramount with stamp collecting and collections of this type are very rarely of any value.
- Old stamps, just because a stamp is old it does not necessarily make it valuable. Letter writing was the number one form of communication prior to the telephone and the internet, even stamps from the 19th century have survived in huge quantities and are often of little value.
How to contact us should you wish to sell:
For specialised collections of stamps from Great Britain, the British Commonwealth or the former British Empire please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit us at 399 Strand
Our Auction specialists are available between 10:30am and 12:30pm (Monday-Friday). Unfortunately, it may not be possible for us to view your stamps outside of these hours without an appointment. To book an appointment email email@example.com